The logistics of the operation generally proceeds in seven stages, which we control of A to Z.
Dismantling must be done by a specialist. The electric wires must be located and never cut to reduce the working time. Accessories (compressors, engines,…) must be fixed on a separated pallet. Else, in case of elevating with a crane, their weight on the pallet can involve the rupture of the points of anchoring. Before dismantling, a checking must be done by the engineer.
The Loading, this operation must be done by specialists in graphic material who have to take care that the machine is bolted on pallet-floor or supports envisaged for this purpose. It is also recommended to protect the material from rust with a shrinkable film. For long or seaway transport, a special protection is essential (antioxidant grease).
Transport, the material must be transported in a stable attachment, preferably of semitrailer type. The order of transport must specify: prohibited transshipments, delivery in hot line in order to avoid any loss or damage during handling operations. It is essential to double the insurance of the conveyor by a comprehensive insurance with the cost price, known as « Ad valorem ». It is strongly advised to make accomplish transport by a company familiar of this type of material.
Unloading, it is preferable to make the handling done by a local company. A preliminary location in order to envisage possible difficulties of access and the equipment which would be dependent there. In certain cases a platform or a plate could be necessary that allows to distribute the weight.
The reinstallation, it is necessary well to distinguish the actuation or « startup » from the formation. For the majority of the technicians, the startup is finished when the material works mechanically and electrically with passage of paper. Sometimes they include in their service a print test to check the register of the machine. Some printers expect that the engineer prints a complex work which requires the control of the techniques of impression and chemistry used. So, some technicians are able to print a work, but they are not professionals of the impression. Just as a mechanic of formula 1 will be able to drive a car, without knowing to control in race.
Training, the technology of the material is new in the company, it will be better to call upon a professional trainer specialized on the type of material. The best trainers are often former printers. The good specialists can also adjust and set up the machine during the reinstallation. A formation of a few days allows a rise in fast and powerful production and avoids long wastes of time.
Traps to be avoided!
- It is better to make go up the material by those which dismounted it. This condition becomes imperative when the material is not any more in production.
- Not to entrust handling to a company not having experience of the machines of printing works. A dismounted offset press is unstable: the weight of the cylinders causes a high centre of gravity which must be known of the specialist.
- Not to be satisfied with the insurance of the conveyor, to require an Ad valorem insurance which cost only from 1,5 to 2,5 per thousand of the total price.
- Check the electric arrivals and the necessary power for the material.
- If a flagstone is necessary, it should be prepared several weeks before to leave a time of drying.
- Do not entrust the technical part to « general practitioners » technicians or without formation of factory.